Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Surviving the Sisterlocks training class

Naomi's Mom speaks:

When I mentioned I was going to take a four-day training class to learn to do the Sisterlocks myself, I was often asked -- how can it take four days to learn? I must admit I wondered that myself but I was sure that it must. They've been around long enough to know.

WOW! I've now been filled to the overflowing with information on hair type and texture and how to analyze it, health and safety considerations, locking techniques, problem solving, running a professional business, product knowledge, and styling tips. I"M EXHAUSTED!!!!

Also, in my naivety I though I could walk out of the class and start whipping through Naomi's re-tightenings. I've already run to my consultant in a panic begging to be squeezed into her schedule. We've worked it out so I'm going to start at home on my own - let's see how far we get (I was pretty okay with it until she said "and if you can lock Naomi's hair you can lock anybody's hair!") - and then go to her house to complete the retightening with her available as an overseer and mentor (with some time allowed in case she has to save my sanity and finish up for me).

The Sisterlocks Training Class:

Listening and learning ...


Our patient models!!!! Mine is front and center -- I'm gonna just have to name her too as we've spent some quality time together!


Practice, practice, practice ... we had to finish 50 locks each night. I don't know about the rest of them, but for me that was about a 4 hour process! And then on the last day we had TIME TRIALS!!!!!! Yikes!


And even more intimidating - but ever so valuable - we had to practice on a live human being. Thanks so much Martell for being sooo patient!


The May 2009 Sistas of the Sisterlocks sisterhood ... forever locked together by our experience.


P.S. If you're having trouble picking me out, just let me know and I'll give ya-all a hint!

1 comment:

C. Dominica said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for taking the time to learn to do your daughter's hair. She is beautiful! I got Sisterlocks yesterday, and I'm Orthodox Christian. I stumbled on your page, and I just wanted to let you know how brave you are to step out of your comfort zone. Your daughter is blessed! By the way, Orthodoxy is basically the same faith no matter the culture. If you visit an English speaking parish, it might help you before you visit an Ethiopian parish again. God bless! -Dominica