Sunday, March 8, 2009

P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e

I've been very happy with the locs so far. It is so much easier to manage on a day-to-day basis. It is literally wash and wear -- or sleep and go as the case may be. Maybe a quick spritz with water or pulling the front up into a loose top knot. Wow! Sometimes I think I am not happy with larger size in the back but I think it will work out fine as they mature and I get used to the look. I'm also pleased that once we washed all of it and the hair had a chance to dry naturally (vs the stiffer look of freshly installed or tightened locs) the unevenness of cut is much less noticeable.


Naomi goes back and forth between whether she likes them or not. I think she pictured them longer and is disappointed that they are not (most of the other girls she saw before getting them already had longer hair). I also think she is just not used to sporting a looser look, and her hair is very full! We have had many a talk about p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e.

Normal separating after a shampoo, soaking, or swim only takes about 15 minutes! I had done one quick recount where I got 388 locks, but when I washed it last night to get it ready for today's retightening, I counted slowly and carefully and got 390 locks. Separating today took about 35 minutes, but according to our locktician I wasn't getting close enough around the base as there was still some tangling. So I guess my record time will increase. Oh well! Still isn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined.

Here we are shampooed, separated, and ready to tighten



And after retightening . . .


And then adding the front done in nice loose cornrows and beads, all ready for school!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG? Is she not super beautiful or what? Never give up your locks little Naomi...you've got a fantastic Mom that cares about how comfortable you are with being natural!
'Chelle E